Monday, May 17, 2010

Yes, Mulan is often my philisophical starting point.



I was never picked first for volleyball.
Hey now, don't get me wrong. I was never picked last, either.
Just never first. Or second. Or third, fourth or fifth.
I was never argued over and traded for, etc.

I think every kid, while they're lined up against a wall, waiting to be picked,
has their fingers crossed
hoping to be #1.

Hoping to be something so sought after,
something desired,
and something worth fighting for.

Oh, there's a difference between fighting for and fighting over.
It feels so helpless, being fought over. As if you were an item.
But it's second best,
and sometimes second best seems not so bad.
Like the girl who's so lonely
that her dream is to have a guy sock another in the face over her.

But that's not the fairy tale.
The dream of a hero who fights dragons for you.
Who will chase after you when you stray.
And who won't let you walk away, no matter how you fight against him.
It's fighting for the right to love you.
Fighting for the chance to be near to you.

And I suppose like most things, this ties into my Jesus.
When everyone on Earth seems to not want to put forth the effort,
He's battling for you.
On crusade for your heart.
And it's the best kind of romance.

Every time I yell at Him,
every time I turn my face,
and every time I'm contrary and difficult and so unworthy of loving,
there he is chasing me down.
Grabbing my shoulders and forcing me to look back at him,
because He wants me to love me,
and will do anything to make me let Him


Psalm 18
16 He reached down from on high and took hold of me;
       he drew me out of deep waters.
 17 He rescued me from my powerful enemy,
       from my foes, who were too strong for me.

2 comments:

  1. I just had a conversation about this last night with a friend.

    These words that still are freshly ringing in my ears and thoughts still fresh in my mind grace my eyes on this page.

    A girl worth fighting for, is that something you are or you become?
    Not totally sure, but what I am sure of is that Jesus see all my value and is fight for me, for that.
    I Don't know what he sees in me, or sometimes what exactly is the reason he is fighting for me.
    Either way, It makes me fall in love with Him more and more everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally thought I commented on this earlier...I thinkI said something like Psalms 18 was one of my favorite Psalms...It's all about His jealous love for us. I love this, very much, and what you wrote is so very true. And I couldn't be happier that it is true.

    ReplyDelete